[Fot] electrical gremlins...wtf?

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Nov 19 09:08:30 MST 2019

Generator polarity shouldn't be able to do that, since it eventually gets connected to the battery. Normally the battery is much stronger, so the generator gets automatically polarized every time the cutout closes (and the red light goes out).

It's not a particularly good idea to switch polarity that way (lots of violence at the cutout contacts when the generator fights the battery), but it does work (if the contacts survive).

I keep an assortment of "burned out" headlight bulbs for tests like this. The low beam filament always burbs out first, which leaves the high beam filament functional as a roughly 5 amp load.

There are other possibilities, but ammeter polarity is still the first thing I would check.
-- Randall