[Fot] DCOE setup on stock tr6

Robert Lang robertlangtr6 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 15 21:34:46 MST 2019

 Hi - Sounds like you have a vacuum leak. I'd put a vacuum gauge on the setup and tune your idle using that. If you're running a stock cam, you should be able to pull more than 15 inches of vacuum, so try advancing the ignition timing and balancing off the idle screws (not the mixture, the idle screw) to get you idle down and still pull the vacuum.
If that doesn't help, double check your float levels - if the float level is wrong you won't be able to get the carbs to work right.
Note that the idle jets do just about nothing after the throttle is off the stop - after that you're on the mains. Sounds simple, but like nobody seems to get that. 50F11 should be more than adequate idle jets.
Regarding the distributor - the timing needs to be ROCK SOLID. If it bounces at all or if there are skips, you need to fix that first. You can't tune bad ignition with the carbs. :-)
Regarding timing, I've set up plenty of cars with 15 BTDC at idle. The trick is to get about 32 or 33 degrees total advance at 3000 or 3500. How you get there depends on how much mechanical advance your distributor makes - if you have Lucas, there are several different numbers available.
Feel free to ping me off list.
Regards,Bob Lang