[Fot] Lug Nuts

Rocky Entriken rocky at spitfire4.com
Mon Aug 12 11:13:18 MDT 2019

If all else fails, do what I did – find lugnuts that fit the stud and with shank the right length (or longer). Than take them to a machine shop and have them take the OD of the shank down to the ID of the wheel.

I once broke 2 lugnuts on my Spitfire shortly before the Solo Nationals. The wheels were American Mags (I thought) and there was an American Wheels warehouse in Kansas City on my way to the event. So I stopped by to pick up some new lugnuts. “Yep those are our wheels ... oh, wait a minute, no they’re not.” Turned out they were a Japanese knockoff and the lug hole was smaller. The guy at American gave me a bag of lugnuts anyway (16, full set – free!) and pointed me to a nearby machine shop who trimmed them down to fit.

Later I got new rear axles that came with bigger/longer lugs. Took 8 of those same nuts, had a local machine shop drill them out all the way through and re-thread them.

--Rocky Entriken