[Fot] Bore gauge

Bill Bill at ponostyle.com
Thu Jun 28 08:07:13 MDT 2018

I generally used a telescoping gauge plus a micrometer—because that’s what I had. Not super accurate and it requires some care and experience to use it. I bought a cheap bore gauge set called “Anytime” from Amazon, and it’s marginally better than my telescoping gauges in that I can fiddle with it to find the largest diameter with the gauge in place. Calibration is an issue. I think it was a hundred bucks. When I was looking for a gauge last year I was surprised at the price for Mitutoyo. $350 for the simple one, and up quickly from there. I don’t think I’d use the “Anytime” to bore cylinders, but for checking it’s fine. Then again I used to use telescope gauges to bore cylinders and I can’t get the same result twice in a row with them.