[Fot] Spitfire High oil pressure

Bud Rolofson levilevi at comcast.net
Sun Jun 3 17:38:14 MDT 2018

I've blow two Earl's oil coolers out with much oil leaking out. My oil pressure gage reads very high (90-100 psi) and I suspect high oil pressure is causing the problem. I checked to see if the oil pressure relief valve was stuck but it came out freely.  Diagrams of the relief valve show a sealing washer between the relief valve cap and the block but mine did not have that sealing washer.

Could that washer (or lack of) be responsible for letting the valve push further into the block and hence making the spring compress more requiring more oil pressure? If anyone knows how thick that sealing washer is please let me know. I'd guess 1/8 inch or so. I guess that could make a difference.

Thanks
Bud

What is normal for a 1300 race engine? And how best to decrease oil pressure to normal?

Sent from my Commodore 64