[Fot] Starter Solenoid

Duncan Charlton duncan.charlton54 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 25 19:28:08 MDT 2017

Unless…

We’ve had two cars that had starting problems that were cured by using a second solenoid.  The actual problem with both was most likely due to a voltage loss between the battery, the ignition switch and the starter solenoid.

The Ford solenoid requires very low voltage (something like 2 volts) to engage, whereas the one on my (German) Opel 1900 and the one on the 1978 Datsun 280Z clearly required a lot more.  I could short across the big terminals to get the car to start, so I knew the starter motor and the integrated solenoid were both good.

Duncan Charlton
Elgin, Texas USA