[Fot] richer needles than the RH

Stephen Myers smyers at mac.com
Wed Jun 28 22:09:52 MDT 2017

You cannot use any reading that you saw on your plugs after a race as any basis for changes.  Your plugs can change in such a quick time that without a dyno your readings will mean almost nothing.  The correct way to read plugs at a track if you have to is to make a few laps and then accelerate hard out on a lap and on the last corner and shut the engine down when you let off to coast into the pit lane to do your readings.  Running your engine any amount of time between full load on your engine and your reading will give you false readings.  Your racing engine requires such small adjustments and tolerances than what “reading plugs” is intended for with street cars that using this method is not very useful compared to other methods such as a proper gas analyzer.

I will add that using a dyno logging air fuel ratio you can also view how the profile of your needle is working and adjust needles only where needed based on piston heights instead of basing your needle choices on overall lean/richness.

-Steve