[Fot] Thickness of figure 8 gaskets

timmmurphh at gmail.com timmmurphh at gmail.com
Sun Jul 23 13:01:51 MDT 2017

I'm having a block decked and the liner seats recut to get the proper stick
out of 0.003 to 0.005.  The figure 8 gaskets I've gotten in the past, mostly
steel, were 0.015 to 0.016 thick.  Even an old set of copper figure 8's
measure 0.016.  The latest copper figure 8's from British Parts North West
measure 0.020.

The 0.015 to 0.016 Figure 8's gave the proper stick out with the old block.
My concern is that if I have the liner seats cut for the 0.020 gaskets, that
in the future I may not be able to get these.  I'm also a bit confused as to
how in the past the 0.015 to 0.016 apparently worked, but now are people
using the 0.020?  And how are they getting the stick out within
specification?

Thanks for any input on this.  I'm taking the block over to the machine
shop, about 60 miles away, tomorrow, but I don't necessarily have to decide
on the liner seats until they actually get it set up on the boring machine.

Tim

P.S. I talked to Steve Yott and he said the figure 8 gaskets that come in
the gasket sets are measuring at 0.020.