[Fot] mid-range versus later TR6 mainshaft question

Bob Kramer rkramer3 at austin.rr.com
Mon Oct 10 10:26:28 MDT 2016

Friends

I'm using an early 1973 overdrive mainshaft to build a close ratio box with
a J-type. The mainshaft was the type that used the earlier style washer
behind the 2nd gear bush with 3 keys locking it onto the splines of the
shaft, as opposed to the thicker washer with a ball bearing locking it on
the shaft on the later versions. I figured I could just drill an hole and
reuse the ball bearing but I am not having any success because the shaft is
too hard to drill. Has anyone else dealt with drilling this hole? If I grind
a flat spot on the shaft will it get me to softer steel so I can drill it?

Bob