[Fot] valve seat crack?

Steve Yott tr4 at wi.rr.com
Fri Feb 19 14:16:15 MST 2016

I believe I have answered a similar question previously.  This is a very common problem with cast iron heads and extremely common on Tractor motor heads with cylinder #4 because of excessive heat buildup.

The fix is generally easy and the longevity of the fix is dependent on the depth of the crack.  Most shops will first counter bore the intake seat area and fit a new intake seat.  Once this is done they will then counter bore the exhaust seat area and overlap into the new intake seat by just a little.  The new hardened exhaust seat is then installed and a normal machining of the seats is accomplished.   I have done a number of street engines in this manner and the results are normally very good!

Steve Yott