[Fot] Oil cooler yes or no?

Roger Williams coelacanth.racing at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 13:51:06 MST 2016

Engine oil temp is very important. Using a dinosaur oil/ non-synthetic
stuff the maximum working temp at about 240 degrees F. Synthetic oil is
normally good to 280. +/-. One can run oil too cool. Oil works better at
200 degrees or more
If you find your oil temp is not running too hot...you do not need a
cooler. It is that simple. I am guilty of running oil coolers when I don't
really need them. If you don't know what the oil temp is, you need to know
this stuff if you are racing. Install an oil temp gauge then you will know
the answer. At best I like to look at temperature before and after the
cooler too.
In the real world I would bet most folks are running the oil too cold. On
short sprint races lasting less than 30 minute I would be willing bet most
engines do not need a cooler. Why install all tht extra plumbing if you
don't need it?
you results may vary.