[Fot] TR6 race engine with 45DCOE triple Webers

Duncan Charlton duncan.charlton54 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 10:41:22 MST 2016

There has been discussion on this lately on one of the DCOE tuning discussion groups ("sidedraft_central" Yahoo group) and I learned a couple of things: If the sensor is too close to the exhaust valve, the sensor can overheat, give faulty readings and perhaps damage the sensor, so in that regard, too far away is better than too close.  Most sensors have a heating element to keep them operating properly if they are far enough downstream that the exhaust gases are below the optimum level, so I don’t think distance from the exhaust valve is necessarily wrong.

The sensor has to be far enough from the outlet that the exhaust gases are not diluted by fresh air cycling back in.  I don’t know what that minimum distance would be but my local dyno operator attaches a copper pipe to his sensor which he then inserts perhaps 18-20 inches into the exhaust pipe.

I assume you already know that the sensor can get out of calibration of you disconnect the sensor from the gauge and then power it up, power it down, and then reconnect the sensor.

Duncan Charlton
Elgin, Texas USA