[Fot] Drilling additional oiling holes in main bearings ?

Jim Gray toodamnfunky at comcast.net
Sat Dec 31 11:44:18 MST 2016

FoT

I hope everyone is having a great new years eave. For me, just counting the
days until the next race and freshening up the motor. That brings me to my
question, can anyone think of any downsides to drilling additional oiling
holes in the main bearings.
I've been fighting wear on my # 2 main for years and am gaining ground on
it.
Before my last build I spoke with Lake Speed Jr over at Joe Gibbs about oil
weights and clearances and he really drove home the value of oil quality. It
really sank in
so I set about improving it significantly. The first step was buying a
cleanable oil filter that I could swap out after each day of racing ( K & P
brand ). I carry an extra filter element to the tracks.
I do an oil change and complete flush after two weekends. Instead of just
draining the pan and refilling I decided a complete flush was the way to go.
My accusump, sump line, oil cooler and cooler lines hold an additional 5
quarts that I wanted completely flushed and refilled on each change. I built
an IOD ( improvised oiling device ) from a $25.00 K-mart pressure cooker.
<http://s698.photobucket.com/user/TR4jim/media/Intake/preoiler.jpg.html?sort
=3&o=0>
http://s698.photobucket.com/user/TR4jim/media/Intake/preoiler.jpg.html?sort=
3&o=0
With that I can isolate and plug in to the accusump, sump lines, cooler and
cooler lines and run through heated cheap oil for the flush and refill with
VR-1.
This went a long way to improving the oil quality over the life of the
motor.
I just tore down the motor after two seasons and it's in the best shape
ever.
If not for losing some clearance on the # 2 main I could have just put new
bearings and rings in it and ran it again. All my rod journals and # 1 & 3
mains are easily within spec. I need to figure out how to get # 2 to live
longer so...any opinions on drilling additional oiling holes in the # 2 main
bearings ?
Thanks as always for any input,
Jim G.