[Fot] Cam timing mystery

Bud R levilevi at comcast.net
Mon Dec 12 14:14:17 MST 2016

List,

I have an inherited cam (came with the car) that has no markings whatsoever so I don’t know what brand it is exactly (although it’s close to an Elgin 7708-12 grind for 5500-7500 rpm road race cam @ 12:1 CR). I had it ground and nitrided and the cam grinder told me the duration was 256 degrees at 0.050 inches, and the cam lift is 0.350. The lobe separation angle is 108.5 degrees. I’m going to use 1.55 rockers.

I did not and probably cannot get a cam card from the grinder, it’s a long story.  So I’m trying to figure out what the cam timing should be since he never told me what it should be.

Any one running a similar cam that could tell me at least a ballpark for timing this cam? I don’t have access to a Computer Doctor setup to figure it out, the grinder supposedly had one but either didn’t use it or didn’t tell me.

If there’s a plus/minus range of 6 degrees retard/advance for cam timing from TDC can I start somewhere in the middle to see what works best? Once the engines done it will go on a dynamometer for break in and tuning, but I’d like to get it dialed in better before that. Where to start?

Thanks
Bud