[Fot] TR4 drive shaft rubbing

malaboge at aol.com malaboge at aol.com
Mon Jul 20 22:29:29 MDT 2015

    Mike,

I tried to email you directly but it keeps getting bounced back to me. Sorry for the rest of you but don't know a better way...

I posted this a while back, but it will keep everything aligned pretty much no matter what.

   I will assume this car has the stock style trans mount, not the later TR6 style setup...yeah I know about assuming anything, but here I go.
In order to keep the rear of the trans where it belongs and yet allow some movement and insulation this is the mod I have utilized.
Remove the 2 trans to mount bolts and drill straight down thru those mounting holes thru the small trans crossmember. Enlarge those new holes in that crossmember to about 5/8" or so. Purchase 2 new bolts that are threaded all the way and are long enough to go thru the trans, the trans mount and the crossmember. Drop the bolt thru the trans and trans mount and start a nut up the bolt to tighten the trans to the mount. The bolt will now extend thru the trans, the mount (tighten the nut securely to hold them together) and the crossmember. Use a large washer and a nyloc on the bolt where it now extends thru the crossmember. Tighten this nylock only until it "just" contacts the crossmember. Because the bolt is smaller than the hole you just drilled it will allow the trans to move a small distance in any direction, but will stop any excessive movement, including saving the radiator in event of a serious impact!

Clear as mud?

Nick