[Fot] Race Car Brake Calipers

toodamnfunky at comcast.net toodamnfunky at comcast.net
Tue Dec 1 15:08:03 MST 2015

I've had very mixed results with the Toyota calipers. I've had two failures just due to manufacturing defects in the castings.
I know a lot of people use them. The biggest problem I've had is destroying rotors. I have used the Carbotech CT10's and the Porterfield pads made for these calipers and get between .5 & 1.5 weekends on a set of stock rotors. I also run 3" cooling hose directly to the inboard side of the rotors. The radiant heat tends to cook the dust boots off the pistons too. KPAX/3R racing is based here and I took one of my rotors in
to get some professional opinion's. They also run some very expensive vintage cars. They said they are very familiar with the compounds
I use and my particular car. They told me to expect to cook rotors with those compounds at this altitude. ( 5200')
They told me they have vintage trans-am cars that will only make seven laps on a set of vented rotors at this altitude.
That leaves me with two choices, either get a much less aggressive compound or go to wildwood vented rotors and the later Toyota calipers for the .81" rotors. It is nice to be able to go to Pep Boys or NAPA and buy calipers so I'm going with the vented rotors and larger Toy calipers for next season. I have a huge pile of rotors I can cash in for scrap that should cover 1/2 the cost of the upgrade.
I'll take my chances at tech.
jim g