[Fot] Intake / Exhaust manifold mating surfaces to head

Duncan Charlton duncan.charlton54 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 07:10:23 MDT 2014

My book sources indicate that it's fine for the intake manifold runner
to be slightly smaller than the port entrance on the head, and the
opposite goes for the exhaust port/manifold junction. Pulsing pressure
waves revert upstream due to valve closure and leaving a lip at the
outer edge theoretically blocks the reversion wave to some extent.  It's
OK to have a "downward" step for the gases to fall over but you don't
want an "upward" step for the gases to have to pass over.

Duncan
(Texas)