[Fot] Racing memories

Rocky Entriken rocky at spitfire4.com
Wed Jan 29 16:52:57 MST 2014

Mine is the Spitfire 4.55:1 diff gears with EVERY tooth sheared off, both
off the ring AND the pinion. I've trashed 4-5 diffs in my time but never one
like that. That was in an autocross, on my first run. I won because the
other guy in my class (Sprite) also broke on his first run (gearbox) and he
straightlined the finish slalom while I wiggled through, so he was DNF while
I had a (very slow) time.

Also the front brake caliper set with the caliper piston cookie-cuttered
through the brake pad backing (no pad left). The brakes actually didn't fail
until the piston had been ground off enough to pop out of the caliper. Race
at Hallett. The scary part was, I'd been lapped by the overall leader right
at the checkered flag, so drove an easy cool-down, into the pits and right
up on my waiting trailer -- that was the moment the piston popped out, the
pedal went to the floor and the car rolled right back off the trailer! If I
hadn't been lapped, if I'd had one more hard racing lap, I probably wouldn't
have finished it!

My garage is all bequeathed to my firstborn daughter, who grew up going to
races and autocrosses with her single-parent dad. Only problem is, her
husband is a big-car guy (he customizes Hummers) and doesn't know what to do
with a LBC.

--Rocky Entriken