[Fot] 1300 Crankshaft

Rick Parent rick.parent at att.net
Tue Jan 28 11:47:06 MST 2014

Hi Bud,

We have been running SU's for years but have run the dual Webers in the past
with great success. I Dynoed our last race motor with both, there was zero
differance in HP. The Webers are much easier to tune than the SU's though. I
have Dynoed a single 45 set up but it was on a motor that only made 100hp so
its not really a fair assesment. I will try it on the next good race motor
which should be in the next couple of months. I can't say if the dual 45's are
better than the dual 40's as of yet either, my experiance says 45's are better
but the Dyno always tells the truth. If the carbs are tuned correctly I don't
think there is an advantage to changing the chokes for differant courses. When
choosing a choke size I do the math to see how much air flow is needed at the
max RPM / HP I want to run and start there. All the jetting including the
chokes work as a team. If you change say from a 36 choke to a 30 choke you
will be increasing the signal to the main circuit which will draw more fuel
sooner. It is necessary to Dyno tune race motors if you want max power and
reliability. I know they are not available everywhere and can be costly but,
its well worth the time and effort. A highly tuned Spit race motor is very
sensitive to jetting changes so in my opinion, (which is worth exactly what
you are paying for it) , you are asking for trouble changing a choke size at
the track. Changing the main jets and or air corrector jets because of weather
conditions yes, chokes never. If you can't Dyno your motor and are forced to
tune at the track get yourself a cheap data logger that can record an O2
sensor and RPM signal, like Innovate or Daytona Sensors Wego. Then a least you
will have a fighting chance, just try not to get frustrated. I will post the
results of the next motor with all the differant carb combo's if you would
like.

Side note;
The Dyno says our motors like 36-40 degrees total timing! no one likes to
believe me when I tell them that. I just get the look like man, you are full
of it! The Dyno says thats what the motor likes so that is how we show up at
the track.

Hope this helps, Rick