[Fot] 4WD vrs AWD

Charly Mitchel charly at mitchelplumbing.com
Fri Jan 24 12:22:00 MST 2014

So I've just been listening to the conversations and watching, now to throw
a little sand into the gearbox (someone else used the phrase) I have 2 land
Rovers, on is a 66 series 2A 109 which definitely has 4 wheel drive, no
unlocking hubs, just a 2 speed transfer case and a differential engagement
for the front axel, oh and it also has overdrive, but that has nothing to do
with the 4WD.  I also have a 09 LR3 which has a 2 speed transfer case,
traction control, terrain response, hill decent, stability control and who
knows what else that works electronically.
My 66 will go any where in any terrain or condition, but my 09 just goes, I
don't think about it, unless I want to change the terrain response, I think
it has 4 different settings.  That being said I don't know if the 09 is 4WD
or AWD and I thought the term defined the transfer case being 1 speed or 2
speed, but I don't know any more.
Just my take on it.
Charly Mitchel