[Fot] Brake line question

Michael Porter mdporter at dfn.com
Wed Jan 22 17:14:41 MST 2014

On 1/22/2014 12:15 PM, robertten1 at aol.com wrote:
> Compression fitting(s) in this application will not hold under the pressure
> generated in any hydraulic brake system.  Unfortunately you will have instant
> brake failure.  Follow the advice of our fellow racers on the list responding
> to your question.

Ah, well, let me just throw some sand in these gears for a moment. I
think you're right if you mean _ordinary_ compression fittings, i.e.,
those suitable for plumbing work (nominally 100-150 psi) and _ordinary_
steel lines.  Those together will not produce a safe and satisfactory
outcome.  But, to make that blanket statement is probably incorrect.
There are compression fittings and lines available from most major
manufacturers, SwageLok, Parker-Hannifin, Aeroquip, etc.,which will
greatly exceed the pressure generated by any master cylinder.
Compression fittings are typically used on CNG fuel systems with ratings
well above the working pressures of 5-6000 psi, five to six times the
maximum pressure generated by most brake systems.  I've seen compression
fittings in high-temperature supercritical fluid applications that
worked well at 600 deg. C and nearly 10,000 psi.

It's a question of cost, and the size of the overall installation. The
fittings are expensive and must be used with precisely-made seamless
tubing of aerospace alloys with very small circumferential TIR, but for
the brake lines in a car, would not be horribly expensive to do--just
unnecessary, since there are safe and suitable alternatives at much
lower cost.  I think it also would be a pain in the ass to find the
necessary adapters from SAE or DIN to British flare to mate the lines to
the operating bits, but not impossible.

Cars, for the most part, have the benefit of not being very long, so
single pieces of tubing can be used throughout, requiring no splices if
the tubing material is malleable enough, a necessary feature for cheap
mass manufacturing, so brake system maximum pressures have usually been
designed with that in mind. In fact, single, double and bubble flares
are only possible because the line material is relatively soft and
fairly malleable (and therefore not capable of higher operating
pressures).  Line materials and fittings have generally followed that
practice from the advent of hydraulic brakes. That's what makes the
usually available equipment suitable for the task, rather than
compression fittings being unsuitable.

Cheers.

--

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....