[Fot] TR4 axle shafts

Barr, Scott sbarr at McCarty-Law.com
Tue Jan 21 16:19:49 MST 2014

<< one of the main objectives of the rules makers and sanctioning bodies is to
allow us to race safely >>

Evidently, the German sanctioning bodies are not so open minded as that.
Chris pointed out that their position is that modifying the car so that the
wheel will not fly off, resulting in an upside down excursion into the gravel
trap, will allow the driver to go faster (perhaps by installing stickier tires
or using more curb) and gain an advantage over a driver whose car is
maintained in the original less safe condition.

It appears that the only thing we can do to help Chris in this one is to
increase U.S. exports of personal injury attorneys to Germany. (Or help him
find X19NiCrMo4 stock at a reasonable cost.)

Scott B.

-----Original Message-----
From: fot-bounces at autox.team.net [mailto:fot-bounces at autox.team.net] On Behalf
Of fubog1
Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2014 5:10 PM
To: tr4racing at googlemail.com; fot at autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR4 axle shafts

Just a few thoughts on the TR raxdiscussion, based on my observations over the
years...
Obviously the problems are largely dueto the nature of the design, a live
axle, not really ideal forracing, and the components, again, not made for
racing stresses.Since we have to keep the original design, going by the rules,
thatcan't be changed.
The axle shaft, taper & key issueshave been discussed.
The other failure mode is that of thewheel hub, which can crack
circumferentially at the inside corner ofthe wheel flange face and the drum
locating boss, down at about a 45degree angle through to the inside corner of
the seal journal andinside of the hub. These inside corners don't have good
radii and arepretty rough, and the little weep hole is another stress raiser,
andthe cross-section isn't that impressive to begin with. The
flange/hubobviously has a lot of lateral load on it from cornering forces
butalso the heavy load that is applied when the hub is removed forinspection.
I suspect that these cracks are sometimes initiallycaused during the hub
removal, since the factory tool pulls on theflange and puts all of that load
through it to the center of the hub.A good crack check will show it but it
just adds to the potential forfailure of the stock components.
The bSouthwickb conversion retainsthe original (poor) design, live vs
floating axles, and eliminatesall of the known failure points. It offers no
performance advantageat all. Since one of the main objectives of the rules
makers andsanctioning bodies is to allow us to race safely, I would think
thatthey would encourage the conversion...
Glen