[Fot] TR4 axle shafts

Van Mulders Marcel van.mulders.marcel at telenet.be
Mon Jan 20 15:07:38 MST 2014

Some years ago I looked at an inside car video of Tony Drews accident and at
pictures of the car and the broken axle shaft. Very impressive! It's very
credible that bending of the part of the axle shaft that is inside the hub
is the cause of the failure.
If the  fretting of the axle shaft in the hub is going on for some time
before it breaks, it would be interesting if one can find signs or
indications of that fretting and thus failure of the axle shaft pending :
i.e. the nut being not very tight, removing of the hub being possible
without much force,being able to move the hub onto the axle shaft (by trying
to turn a the wheel)...
If the nut is very tight and the hub doesn't move with some force of a hub
puller, would it be unwise to assume that the axle shaft is not fretting and
that it won't break in the near future?
PS : The early sidescreen TR's (TR2's and some TR3's) had the weak Lockheed
axle intead of the later Girling axle. The lockheed axle shafts did break by
twisting of the shaft, not by bending : it was possible to break a Lockheed
axle shaft by letting the car roll backwards of a hill, and, with the box in
1st gear,engage the clutch with a enough throttle.
Marcel, Belgium