[Fot] Spitfire Slave Cylinder Vexing Me

Mike Jankowski mikeragtopeditor at gmail.com
Sun Jan 19 15:29:56 MST 2014

To address lots of the responses, The physical placement of the clutch is
the same. The clutch line is all metal so no ballooning. However, the
silicone fluid left dark silty stuff in the system, yet the shifting was
off before it was thrown in. There are currently no leaks in the system,
other than when the fluid had blown past the lid of the master cylinder.

I never took the slave off and it worked fine for 4 years. Pedal feel isn't
much different than before the engine swap, but it is different. There are
no leaks anywhere, but it sure seems like a hydraulic issue. Thrust washers
are good, the engine wasn't even fully run in before it got parked. All
hardware seems to be in order. So the plan of attack is this:

New master, slave, pushrod, line. Install, bleed, and see. If it persists,
I'll pull the transmission. My 12th Spitfire and 43rd Triumph and this is a
first for me. Fingers crossed.