[Fot] TR4 axle shafts

MadMarx tr4racing at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 19 15:29:28 MST 2014

To get more knowledge about the TR4 axle this weekend I did the engineering
calculations about the axle shafts in search to solve the question:

Why do they break?

I found out that on a stock TR4 the axles don't meet the safety margin
required by German design rules.

You need a safety margin on 1.5 and the axle with everything stock meets
only 1.32 which might count off some miles of that axle on heavy road use or
trackdays.

On a race car it gets worse. My TR4 can do 1.5Gs on low speed corners. That
is  quite a lot more than for a road car.

The safety maring should be at  a factor of 1.5.
On my racer it is 0.9 which means the axle WILL break! You need 1.0 to be
just on the edge with break from overload.
So the axle has very good reason to let go and the stock material must be
excellent to withstand racing for a while.

I calculated with 42CrMo4 which is a superior steel for axles, the 2nd best
available in ancient times.

So the way to go for me is with an new design that fits plug and play into
the stock housings.

I will take the TR2 shaft design as rough pattern but a lot stronger for
racing purpose.

I tell you if I will be successful.

Cheers
Chris