[Fot] 4WD vrs AWD

billdentin at aol.com billdentin at aol.com
Fri Jan 24 10:55:16 MST 2014

Amici...

Thanks to one and all for answers to my question concerning 4WD vrs AWD.  Some
were deep.  Some were suscint.  All were helpful.  I have a Chrysler 300C,
with a hemi engine and incredible rear wheel spin in Wisconsin winters.  I am
about ready to replace it with a vehicle that does not have these issues in
Wisconsin winters (or damp weather in July for that matter).  Incidentally I
like all other aspects of that car, especially the fact that I fit in it.
They do offer AWD, so we'll see.

Bob Lang sent a link to a great five or six page Motor Trend article on the
subject.  Its opening paragraph (below) is a great set up for an excellent
article.

Life used to be so simple. Pickups looked like pickups. SUVs looked like SUVs.
Everything else was a car. And when it came to 4WD and AWD, one was serious,
and the other was a gimmick. All that has changed. Today, there are so many
fractured segments, subsegments, different styles, and looks that some people
might consider a certain vehicle a car, while others call it a four-wheel
drive, and still others think it's a crossover. And in one way or another,
they could all be right. Here, we take a look at the basic assets and
strengths

Read more:
http://www.motortrend.com/features/consumer/1105_4wd_vs_awd/#ixzz2rL5oDhTB