[Fot] Repeal the DOT/EPA "25 Year Rule" Car Import Ban

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Aug 26 16:55:41 MDT 2014

> * Differences between U.S. vehicle and the rest of the car producing
> world are shrinking all the time. Most 15-year-old cars coming from
> Canada, Europe, or Japan will not be significantly different in
> safety or emissions

The Lotus Elise was introduced to the rest of the world in 2001.  Took them 4 years to get permission to import it here, and even then they had to get a special NHTSA exemption (as well as using a completely different engine that made less power).  As I recall, the US version was heavier, too.

Seems pretty significant to me.

Randall