[Fot] front hub bearing dust cap

Bill Tobin william.tobin31 at verizon.net
Wed Apr 23 21:42:01 MDT 2014

I slightly modify mine by peening the outside lip of the cap and making it a
bit larger.
I also made a tool to install the caps using a piece of 2 inch pipe. The cap
sits in the pipe evenly and you tap it in with a hammer. It puts pressure
around the whole circumference of the cap's rim while driving it on. You may
have to ream the pipe a bit to get the cap to fit in it, but if you're a
plumber.......! I did mine on a lathe. Seems to work for me.
The aluminum hubs probably expand faster and more than steel and this may be
causing your problem.
I've got a replacement parts number for  these somewhere. If I can find the
number, I'll send it tomorrow. It may be from a Ford pickup.
OBTW: you're not the first guy to lose a cap. A corner worker one time
brought mine back!
Cheers, Bill