[Fot] Line question

Bob Bownes -Seiri bownes at seiri.com
Sun Jun 24 22:03:46 MDT 2012

I have to add a short story of my own...

While in one of my first races in the spit that Marty now has my little GP
Spitfire was lumped in with all the other prod and GT classes. Given that
there was a National several days later and an IMSA race the next week, there
were a few of the local Big Bore teams doing test and tune.

It came as no surprise to anyone to find an IMSA/GT1 car with a big name
driver on the pole and me on the other end of the grid as the lone GP entry.

At the driver's meeting I approached him and said I'd do my best to stay out
of the way. He turned and said 'Just hold your line and drive your race son.
Let me worry about getting around you.' Those words rang loudly in my head as
I came into Turn one alone at the back of the pack about four or five laps
later with his Camaro thundering down on me. I held my line, tracked out, he
ducked inside of me and was gone. We repeated that a few more times and then
took the checker about half a lap apart.

 It was no surprise that we both placed first in class. But the victory lap
with the checkered flag was just as sweet.

We raced one more time in the following years. I was sorry when he left us a
couple of years ago, especially since one of his first race cars was a TR6.

Bob