[Fot] Line question

Bill Babcock ponobill at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 09:34:43 MDT 2012

There's a lot of debate on this issue, here's my take: Be consistent. That's
all anyone should ask of you.

I'm not really fond of people pointing me by, they often point in a direction
I don't want to go, and then make some kind of move that I need to work
around. I hate it when they start talking about that at the drivers meeting. I
don't know where this notion comes from, but the idea that a much slower
driver should be in control of where the faster cars go seems completely
absurd. I'd just as soon you left that up to me. At the very least, don't be
surprised if I don't take your direction, and for certain don't dart around to
support your choice of where I should be going.

A lot of racers think "The Line" is a railroad track that they have to follow.
What the racing line is, is the part of the track that you HAVE to be on if
you're driving at the limit of your car and would like to stay on the track.
Groups like Vintage under two liter (usually Group One) have a wide speed
differential that hasn't got much to do with driver ability. On tracks where
the Loti, Lolas, Poopers and Peyote are turning under 1:40 there are cars
circulating at well over 2:00. Many of them "drive the line" with rigid
determination, even though they could be anywhere on the track and still
negotiate the turns. If you're in that later circumstance, coming into a fast
sweeper, and see a snarling pack closing on you, you might not want to be
swinging in for a classic late apex. I know that if I say something like "hey,
you kind of closed the door on me" that they will invariably say "I was
driving the Line".

Other than that, just drive your car. Check your mirrors but don't drive your
mirrors. You might spike my blood pressure if you squeeze me out of a line I
wanted, but that's MY problem. I'll work it out, and I won't hit you
(probably) Just kidding.

On Jun 24, 2012, at 7:37 AM, Todd Redmond wrote:

> Hold your line.  It's the over taking vehicles responsibility to go around
you.  On the straights it helps if u point them by. Good luck!!

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Jun 24, 2012, at 9:56 AM, marty sukey <trmarty at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Question for the masses on the proper line usage on track from a newbie.
>> have only been in the heat of the battle twice so far and am doing my best
>> keep out of your guys and gals way :). Knowing that at this point I am
much
>> slower than everybody else. During the times I am exiting a corner and I
see I
>> am holding up a much faster car (everybody) I tend to exit in a way that
>> leaves me out of the way leaving plenty of room so I can point the
following
>> car or cars by and them maintain the racing line. While spectating this
>> weekend I really tried to pay attention at Mid-Ohio the last two days to
see
>> how other drivers were handling it. It looked like a 50/50 deal, some
drivers
>> maintained the line and made the overtaking driver go around them at the
next
>> opportunity and some followed my strategy and kept the heck out of the way.
As

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/alfetta95@optonline.net