[Fot] FW: Nomination Greg Kerr [ List workings ]

Mark J Bradakis mark at bradakis.com
Thu Jun 21 21:16:40 MDT 2012

Paul MacDonald wrote:
> I think Peter meant to reply all.

As many of you have no doubt noticed by now the default list behavior is to
send a reply only to the one who first sent the message.  I've had it
set that
way for many years.  Basically it is easier to have a list member resend
a post
that was meant for all than to "unsend" a post that should not have been
sent
to all.  So when replying you may want to check the "To: " box. Many
years back
I was explaining my reasoning for this policy on one of the lists. One
subscriber
sent a message to list with some comments on the subject.  Another
subscriber
responded but it was pretty obvious the reply was meant to go to only one
person, not the whole list.  But I didn't unsubscribe him in spite of
all the mean
and unpleasant things he said about me and how the lists are managed.

Another reason one's message don't reach the list is because you aren't
sending
it here.  To send a message to fot at autox.team.net you send a message to,
gee,
fot at autox.team.net.  Again, check the "To: " address ( or CC ) when
composing
your message.

And yet another reason your messages don't come through is because you
are not
a member of the email list, your EMAIL is a member of the list.  If you
were put on
the list as student_joe at diploma.mill but are now sending mail from the
address
worker_joe at slavers.com it won't come through.  One can subscribe both
addresses
and set one of them to not get messages so you can send from either one but
not get two copies.  I just dealt with that for one person earlier
today, you may
soon be hearing from Bill Babcock again.

Sorry to be somewhat long winded about such stuff, but hopefully a bit of
knowledge will help all of you make good use of what a great resource
this is!

mjb, underworked and overpaid Team.Net janitor.