[Fot] Valve Guides one more time

Richard Taylor tarch at bellsouth.net
Fri Jun 8 15:48:28 MDT 2012

Hang on for one more lap of the valve guide issue.

1.  The existing valve guides in my TR-4 head are at different depths. You
can see the bottom of the intake guides through the intake port but the
exhaust guides are significantly higher and not visible through the exhaust
port. Peeking through the valve springs, the exhaust guides appear to be at
least 1/2 an inch higher than the intakes.

2.  To my machinist's chagrin, I'm participating in the head rebuild
exercise. (He's a good friend so it's not an unpleasant chagrin). Inasmuch
as I had one guide come loose at Road Atlanta, he says that we may have to
resize the guide hole in the head and fit a special guide. Any experience in
this arena? After all our discussion a month ago, I'm using cast iron
guides.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Richard Taylor