[Fot] Wiseco soft nylon hone brush

Jim Gray toodamnfunky at comcast.net
Tue Jun 19 16:46:16 MDT 2012

Try Comet powdered cleanser with water.
Jim g.

-----Original Message-----
From: fot-bounces at autox.team.net [mailto:fot-bounces at autox.team.net] On
Behalf Of Tim Murphy
Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2012 4:43 PM
To: fot at autox.team.net
Subject: [Fot] Wiseco soft nylon hone brush

In our TR4 engine we have Wiseco forged pistons.  I saw on their web site
that they had a soft nylon hone brush available and as I needed a hone, I
purchased one of their hone brushes to break the glaze on the sleeves prior
to installing new rings.  You can take a look at the brush at www.wiseco.com
by clicking on "accessories" in the "automotive" section on the left hand
side of the home page.

                I wanted something "safe" so as not to remove any metal from
the sleeves and make them tapered or oblong or both.  Has anyone used one of
these hone brushes?  I'm having a hard time "breaking the glaze" with it.
I've called Wiseco a couple of times regarding lubricant/cutting fluid and
speed to run it at and have followed their instructions.  So far I've tried
straight mineral spirits (the Wiseco recommendation), a 50/50 mix of mineral
spirits and ATF and carb cleaner that an engine builder in town recommended.

                I'm making progress but it would seem that this shouldn't be
a career!!  So, if anybody has some experience with these hone brushes I'd
appreciate any suggestions.  We do seem to have quite a bit of hard black
glaze on the sleeves.  I'm beginning to think that maybe the brush should be
run dry, no lubricant.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Tim Murphy
fot at autox.team.net