[Fot] spitfire h/gasket question

Robert MacKenzie list at mackenzie.aero
Tue Jul 17 13:31:51 MDT 2012

Tony:

What you have described is quite common.  I have had to change many head
gaskets on my (and my friends) Spits and found the same scenario.
They seem to run for a while then just give up for no real reason.

The only gasket to consider is the one made by Payen.   They seem to be the
only ones that last.  Some of the others will have the copper crush seals
that fit into the recesses but never seal as well.  Some of the paper or
copper coated paper gaskets that are floating around, often made in India,
are only good if the engine is an earlier block without the recess or has
been skimmed.  In that case I would go for a pure copper one anyway.

In my humble opinion you should replace the head studs while the head is
off. Stretched studs are the main cause of head gasket failures. At $5-$7
each that are not cheap but still cheaper than replacing the head gasket
again after a few heat cycles.  [Trust me on this...]  Also pay particular
attention to the torque sequence and go up in small steps.

I hope this helps.

Robert MacKenzie
Austin Texas
'79 1500 (street)