[Fot] A-Type Overdrive Slipping

Don Elliott 58tr3a at videotron.ca
Sun May 2 17:26:35 MDT 2010

Over on the right side there is a hole that you have to line up with a drill
of a certain diameter.  Recently, owners of TRs with "A" type overdrives
have reported that if you move the lever arm a bit one way or the other that
you can find a "sweet spot" where the problem disappears.  The drill won't
line up but the overdrive will not slip.

Also you mentioned that the piston rings were broken.  The early TR2s had
overdrives with smaller pistons and steel rings in the piston grooves much
like we all find in the pistons in the engine.  Later, Laycock re-developed
the overdrive with larger pistons (hence more pressure) and these larger
pistons did not have piston rings - they came with o-rings.

I have 325 psi oil pressure using Valvoline 20-W 30 Racing oil and while I
have to let up for a millisecond when switching into 2nd overdrive only, the
325 psi oil pressure I measured is sufficient for the "A" type overdrive in
my 1958 TR3A.

Don Elliott, Original Owner, 1958 TR3A, Montreal