[Fot] Hard line materials

Robert M. Lang lang at isis.mit.edu
Thu Mar 25 15:28:25 MDT 2010

Hi,

Seeing that we're all being technical... my AN braided lines for my fuel
system are now about 10 years old. I figure I should get a leg up on this
- yes, I know the rubber rots over time.

I was thinking about replacing a good portion of the flex with hard metal
lines instead with just a few short flex lines where it matters.

I have fabbed up steel bundy tubed used AN 818/819 steel sleeves and nuts
and that seems to work okay.

The question is - is there any obvious reason NOT to use aluminum tube and
aluminum sleeves / nuts? I was thinking 6061T6 3/8" with .065 thick walls.

This is low pressure (less than 3 psi) fuel, not PI or anything like that.

I'm just curious.

But the aluminum looks nicer than the steel does and it's probably lighter
although we're talking ounces of material here, not pounds.

regards,
rml