[Fot] TR3 Diff shim thickness

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Jul 14 23:14:06 MDT 2010

> Any good rear end shop will have developed slip fit bearings that they
> can use to get the proper pinion depth and ring and pinion tooth pattern
> as well as back lash.

Or they are easy enough to make yourself, from the old bearing.  However, as
I learned when doing my Stag diff a few years back, they may be useless!
The old bearing, although still in good condition, was a good .030" thinner
than the new replacement.  Fortunately for me, it was the input bearing that
was a different thickness, not quite as much trouble to keep swapping shims
as the head bearing.

I guess you could always buy two replacement bearings, and grind out the id
of one of them to make a "setting" bearing; but I was too impatient for
that.

Randall