[Fot] Triumph GT6 Transmission conversion to TR6?

Scott Janzen s.janzen at comcast.net
Fri Dec 3 07:56:30 MST 2010

Having just munched the third transmission in about two years, I'm
ready to upgrade to something beefier, but would like to keep it in
the Triumph family, and need a vintage compliant 4 speed (no 5 speeds
need apply!).

I'm thinking about a TR6 box, and have started the thought process by
lining up a TR4 box that I have next to the GT6 box - bell housing
shape is identical, except that the TR4 box places the starter about
1/2" higher.  Shifter falls in the same place, though a shorter drive
shaft and a modified rear mount will be needed as the overall
transmission is about 4" longer.

The 4's input shaft is a larger diameter - is the TR6 box different in
that respect from the TR4, given that the TR6 and GT6 engines are
stroked/de-stroked versions of each other?

If anyone has done this swap, what other clutch, flywheel and
hydraulics changes have you made? Can you use a TR6 engine plate or
does one need to be made up?   Lastly, does anyone have a TR6 box they
want to get rid of?

Thanks!