[Fot] Hmod Handling question for your entertainment and my assistance

Bill Babcock billb at bnj.com
Tue Apr 13 12:59:51 MDT 2010

I'd try every suspension tuning trick before cutting anything, unless you
really are going to do the cut anyway, then I'd do all the tweaking after
that. Shortening your rear springs would have stiffened them, and that
generally REDUCES understeer. For some reason your car went the other way, so
I'd guess there's something else going on. You are right in thinking
shortening the front springs should increase understeer, but something is
wrong somewhere, so if your determined to lower the ride height, get that done
and start tuning.

The list starts with tire pressure. find a place you can use as a skid pad or
a track with minimal straights (skid pad is better). Run the car around until
tire temps settle and then get a reading. You want center temp the same as
outer or inner (usually inner, though if your camber is really screwed it
could be either). See what that gets you, might be all you need.

Then set your camber. On a skid pad you want even temps across the tire, on a
track you'll probably be happy with inner and center the same, outer a bit
cooler since it gets more cooling in the straights.

Adjust your roll bar--softer reduces understeer.

For sure check your bump steer, sometimes sudden onset understeer is caused by
roll-induced bump steer.