[Fot] Break-in Oil

J.C. Hassall jhassall at blacksburg.net
Sun Apr 4 08:47:03 MDT 2010

On 4/3/2010 10:39 PM, Mark Eginton wrote:
> My new Isky grind cam came with a flyer recommending break-in oil but
> I can't seem to find it anywhere, nor does any one seem to know what
> it is. How serious is this? I'm hoping to irritate the neighbors
> Sunday or Monday unless I have to order oil on the internet. Left to
> my own device I would just run Castrol GTX 75k (30 wt) which had
> "almost" as much of the additives everyone thought were necessary as
> the best (long FOT thread 12-18 mos ago) and I love GTX. Decades of
> great luck; e.g. turbo SAAB with almost 200k on it sparkling clean
> inside - original turbo - daily driver...
Mark, I hear ya about wanting to irritate the neighbors, but be sure to
follow Isky's advice about the oil.  My cam came with their sheet
recommending Brad Penn, (now going from memory: Valvoline VR-1
"non-racing" oil, then some grade of Pennzoil?).  Brad Penn is available
from www.cdoc.com, probably others too.  Valvoline VR-1 (be careful,
ISTR that there are 2 VR-1 formulations; the one you want says "not for
street use") which was available at my local Napa store.  If you have
shops around which cater to the roundy-round crowd, or dragster-types,
they will surely stock it.  If all else fails and you really want to
fire it up PDQ, a can of extra ZDDP added to your favorite non-synthetic
should do fine.  FWIW, a local shop that caters to the straight-line
crowd wanted $9 for a can of the ZDDP.

> Happy Easter for those who celebrate...

Thanks, and Happy Easter to you.

jim