[Fot] detroit locker

BillDentin at aol.com BillDentin at aol.com
Fri Mar 13 13:07:06 MDT 2009

In a message dated 03/13/2009 12:20:31 PM Central Standard Time,
Billb at bnj.com writes:

> You just eliminated the option I'd take. You can get stronger axles,
> and that might suffice, but rolling a race car just isn't that much
> fun. If your axle breaks you really only want the race to be over, not
> the season.
>
> I don't know of any other option that retains the wheel if the axle
> breaks.

I can't explain it, but there was some sort of FORD rear axle conversion that
a guy in Florida came up with (Abacus?).  I know that John Harkness bought
one for his TR3A after rolling it over at GingerMan on time.  John told me that
it was big, heavy, and convoluting, but worked, and he didn't want to roll
over again.

But I agree that the Southwick conversion is the way to go (if he is still
doing them).  Seems to me I remember Uncle Jack saying Southwick was closing his
shop and going to retire, but would do 'odds and ends' in his garage.  He did
good work, and seem to like doing stuff for Jack.

Bill Dentinger