[Fot] J Type OD lubricant

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Jan 25 17:21:49 MST 2009

> Bob - Quantum does not recommend 10W30, but straight 30
> weight, non-detergent motor oil - I just looked it up.  Check here -
> http://www.quantumechanics.com/categories.php?op=newindex&cati
> d=11  (Found under "Topic Of The Month" if the link doesn't
> work)

Also please note that the described test was done "long ago", and on an
A-type OD.  The J-type is a later design, with quite a few improvements over
the A-type (including apparently a tolerance for various kinds of oil).

> I'd say their test with 90wt Hypoid would eliminate
> that as a logical choice.

Funny thing is, lots of folks do use hypoid oil (including the factory !)
and they don't have anywhere near the kind of problems that John reports.  I
don't know why there is a discrepancy, but something doesn't make sense.

Randall