[Fot] Con Rod Bearing clearance

steve colordog.1 at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 7 14:37:05 MDT 2009

I am getting ready to install my newly assembled TR3 motor into my car.  Because of a bearing failure at my last event, I thought it would be wise to check the rod bearings with plastigage.
I put the motor back on the stand, pulled the pan and checked the rod bearing clearance.  Here are the results:  0015,  .00175  .0020, .0015 (in order).
I thought we were looking for close to .003.  I have read from other posts that Plastigage is not accurate.

This crank is not new.  In fact, it has been racing for 25 years. It is .010 under, and magged OK. The journals have been freshly polished.  Also, this crank has been mated to the same set of Carillo rods for as many years.
Perhaps these tri-metal bearings from BPNW may be different from the old ones.  I don't know because I didn't plastigage the old bearings before trashing them.

I am thinking about getting a set of ACL bearings and seeing if the plastigage results are different.  Also, I could take the assembled motor to the machine shop and they can re-measure everything there without taking it all apart.

Advice?

~Steve