[Fot] WG get together

John Herrera jrherrera90 at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 30 13:48:49 MDT 2008

Was this car at ELVF XII in 1996 freshly painted (that morning at 2:30 AM) International Orange? >>>
Probably, but I don't believe it was never approved and/or allowed to race at any sanctioned events.  I am sure it hurt poor Bob Kamholz' feelings, as he was proud of the car, but truth be told it was scary looking (even before you turned it on), and even if it could have 'passed Tech', the VSCDA had no real place for it.  Bill (Damdinger).

I eavesdropped while Bob was trying to get it through tech that day. He told the scrutineer that he had wrecked the car two weeks earlier and that he had spent every day and night since the wreck repairing it so that he could run in ELVF XII. Triumph was the Featured Marque. He told the scrutineer that he had been up all night and just finished painting it that morning at 2:30 and came straight to the track. It smelled like paint. He said that he painted it orange so that WHEN he spun out, he would be easily seen and avoided. Mind you, Bob was telling the scrutineer this as reasons he SHOULD be allowed to run.

The scrutineer (I like saying scrutineer) allowed Bob to run Track Touring but no race group. I ran Track Touring in The Blue TR3 and noticed the orange car off at a turn.

Later I asked him what happened and he replied, "In all the last minute rushing around to get the car ready, we forgot to put gas in it!"

John H.