[Fot] Transmission for racing GT6+

Larry Young cartravel at pobox.com
Fri Sep 21 12:34:31 MDT 2007

My transmission rebuild article at www.vtr.org has pictures of the three
different layshaft bearings and typical layshaft wear.  The best
arrangement was the loose needle bearings used in the 3 synchro boxes,
but unfortunately these can't be used in a 4 synchro box.  I agree with
Glen. The shell type bearings are the next best and they can be used as
a direct replacement for the open cage bearings.  Triumph seems to have
changed these bearings more for ease of assembly rather than improved
wear and reliability.