[Fot] Mallory condenser problems

Robert Lang lang at isis.mit.edu
Thu Sep 13 10:01:22 MDT 2007

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007, Scott Janzen wrote:

> I just fitted a Mallory to my GT6 and have been having intermittent ignition
> problems, mostly a misfire at high speed.  What are the symptoms you are
> experiencing with condenser failure?  Several people have mentioned Robert's
> last comment - including Century, a big Mallory seller - which is that the
> condenser should be sanded to remove a coating on it which apparently
> inhibits grounding.

The condensor failing will show in one of two ways - intermittent poor
spark where the car will misfire once or twice under load but the
"recover" and total failure. With total failure you get a very weak spark
(yellow with a test plug) and in my case the car won't even start
(although it might "cough" when trying to start it.

If you replace the condensor with a known good one, the car will start up
and the misfire is GONE.

regards,
rml