[Fot] Spitfire mixture needles

EDWARD BARNARD edwardbarnard at prodigy.net
Wed Oct 31 13:11:31 MDT 2007

Don't forget...octane was measured differently back then (RON). Also note that octane ratings here in the states average 4 or 5 points below Europe because they use the RON rating while we average the RON and MON. Their 97 equals our high test or medium grade depending on who's European gas your buying. - Ed

REK46 at aol.com wrote:  The MkIII owners manual says that the engine is designed to operate on fuels having  a min oct rating of 97(Research Method)..Using fuels of this type or higher,the static timing should be 6 degs B.T.D.C...if these fuels are not available,or lower,you should retard the ign timing just sufficient enuf to prevent pinging.....also be sure the float levels are correct