[Fot] oil, oil, oil

Guyots3 at wmconnect.com Guyots3 at wmconnect.com
Mon Mar 19 17:38:58 MDT 2007

Everyone,

OK, I have been doing a lot of research on this very important oil issue.

We all need it, so I guess this is about one of the most critical questions
for our engines.

As you know, the oil companies have drastically cut-back on the ZDDP (mostly
Zinc & Phosphrous) anti-wear additives found in modern motor oils.

The general consensus of opinion seems to be that just about anything rated
'SM' does NOT have sufficient additives for our flat-tappet engines.

SAE20W50 is the recommended viscosity for the majority of our Triumph engines.

It seems that we have little in the way of choice:

Three companies products keep coming up:

A) Amsoil

B) Redline

C) Valvoline

These companies still produce some high quality, non-SM products.

such as:

A) Amsoil 20W50 Series 2000 Synthetic Racing Oil, (code TRO)

B) Redline 20W50 High Performance Synthetic Motor Oil.

C) Valvoline 20W50 Racing Synthetic (not street legal) Motor Oil, (code VV855)

C2) Valvoline 20W50 Racing Conventional (not street legal) Motor Oil, (code
VV851)

So far as I can see, these oils are not widely advertised, nor are they
commonly available 'off the shelf' in your friendly motor factors.

They may be ordered directly from the manufacturers, and the costs of the
synthetics seem to be roughly similar at just under $10/quart, or $40/gallon.

Amsoil being distributed the way it is, multi-level etc, seems to thrive on
hype, but being the cynical chap that I am, I believe about 10% off it.

Do any of you fine fellows have any opinions on the quality/capability/worth
of any of these products?

Do tell.

Best Regards to all

Leon F Guyot