[Fot] AMB placement

greg gtlund at cyberspeedway.net
Sat Jul 28 14:26:01 MDT 2007

Group,
      I had occasion to do some investigating with the AMB transponders
for our SCCA region. I built an antenna loop in the driveway and
measured the signal strength with an oscilloscope. AMB's directions are
mostly OK but I found some improvements. The signal is broadcast in a
cone shape and we are trying not to affect it.

     1. The signal is best between 12" and 18" above the track.
     2. Mounting the transponder against a metal plane like a firewall or
        inner fender panel tilts the cone away from the panel.
     3. Trying to go through fiberglass does somewhat restrict the
        signal.
     4. Don't try to aim the transponder through a hole as this greatly
        attenuates the signal.
     5. If you have to go through a horizontal panel, place the end of
        the transponder through the panel about 1/2".

     Hope this might help somebody.
     Greg Lund