[Fot] [TR] Building a 150 hp engine

Chuck Arnold triosan at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 13:04:39 MDT 2007

Do not think Kas got 240+ HP with carbs like he did with PI [14:1
compression, rebuild about every 4 hours of use?].

150 with 9.5:1 might be a reach.  No one has mentioned the other variable on
breathing -- and that is exhaust.  The exhaust system is what sucks the
gases out of the cylinder, not just the push of the piston [exhaust is up to
80% or more as I remember from the Vizzard article I read].  You do need to
port the head and you probably need to go to a good tubular header and
single 2.5" exhaust pipe system to optimize the power of the carbs and
cam.   I am having astreet car engine built now -- it will have the Webers,
header, ported head, and a Kent D9 cam -- which is pretty aggressive but
still idles ok for me -- it has been in the car before.

This car will be for sale when I get it back together.  It will contain the
above rebuilt engine, an Electromotive crank fired ignition system, a Herman
Van Den Akker Toyota 5 speed, a Good PArts conversion to the Nissan 300Z
diff, racing seats, roll bar, fuel cell, and 16" Panasport wheels [plus the
original seats, an unistalled luggage rack and conveyable top frame, and a
set of steel rims with AVS intermediate tires].  Would be interested if
anyone is interested in this car, and if so, what they would be willing to
pay.  I will setup a website with pictures when ready and offer the car to
the Triumphs, 6Pack and FOT lists before going the eBay route.

--
Chuck Arnold